In this blog post, I will show you how you can create your own bootable USB flash drive for Windows 10 installations. And like you will see, it’s pretty easy these days.
Before we start whit the installation a list of some things to keep in mind:
- An internet connection is needed to download the tool
- You will need 8 GB of free disk available on the C: drive
- The minimum capacity of the USB flash drive needs to be at least 4 GB
- Be aware that all the files on the USB flash drive will be erased
- Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available in the media creation tool
- A Windows 10 product key (for the Windows 10 Edition that will be installed) is needed when you are installing a clean Windows 10
- To manually download the MediaCreationTool go to the following website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
After this short list with things to keep in mind, it’s time start. To do so follow the steps described below:
1) First, make sure your USB flash drive is plugged in
2) Open Windows PowerShell ISE or PowerShell (as administrator) and run the below commands to download the media creation tool to the C:\Temp folder and start it up when downloaded
## Create the C:\Temp folder if needed (remove ## at the next line)
## New-Item -ItemType directory -Path C:\Temp
## Download MediaCreationTool.exe and save to C:\Temp
$url = "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209"
$output = "C:\Temp\MediaCreationTool.exe"
$start_time = Get-Date
$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile($url, $output)
Write-Output "Time taken: $((Get-Date).Subtract($start_time).Seconds) second(s)"
## Run MediaCreationTool.exe
3) On the License terms page, select Accept to accept the license terms
4) On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another pc and then select Next
5) Select the proper Windows 10 Edition, Architecture (x86, x64 or both) and Language to install. Click Next
6) Select USB flash drive on the next page and click Next
7) Select the correct USB flash drive and click Next
8) The tool will start Downloading Windows 10
9) After downloaded the necessary files the tool will start Creating Windows 10 media
10) When done click Finish. Your USB flash drive is now ready for use
11) If you select the USB flash drive (E: in my example) you will see all necessary files are in place to start a clean Windows 10 installation
12) Now that you have created the bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive, you can go to the next step: Installing Windows 10 on a pc (desktop or notebook). To do so, plug in the USB flash drive to the pc and boot from USB. In my example I will use a HP notebook. Startup and when the HP logo is shown press the ESC key to go to the Startup Menu (the sentence Press the ESC key for Startup Menu will appear in the left bottom of your screen)
13) Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu
14) Select USB Hard Drive 1 – USB DISK 3.0 (in my example this is my USB flash drive)
15) Select the Windows 10 Setup Architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) and press Enter. This will start the Windows 10 installation. Just go to the complete setup procedure and your pc will be up and running with Windows 10 in no time
This completes this blog post. Have fun with it and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Wim Matthyssen (@wmatthyssen)