From the Forums: Could not enumerate Exchange

8:50 am in Uncategorized by mikeresseler

Here’s a strange case that has been discussed on the great DPM forums.

A user reported that he could not enumerate the Exchange server when he was creating a protection group for Exchange Server using the DPM wizard.

These are the errors he got:

DPM could not enumerate application component Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\xxx\17a465cc-90ca-4abd-927f-9aed49f33b5e on protected computer xxx. (ID: 964)
Please make sure that writer is in good state.

DPM could not enumerate application component Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\xxx\17a465cc-90ca-4abd-927f-9aed49f33b5e\File on protected computer xxx. (ID: 964)
Please make sure that writer is in good state.

DPM could not enumerate application component Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\xxx\17a465cc-90ca-4abd-927f-9aed49f33b5e\Logs on protected computer xxx. (ID: 964)
Please make sure that writer is in good state.

We let him do all the usual stuff but it didn’t solved anything.

Until today, nothing was found to solve this case, and there were many more reporting this issue.  But today, a user named Frans Molenaar found a solution.  Although it sounds like a very strange solution which has nothing to do with the issue, I decided to test it out in my sandbox and come to the conclusion that it actually indeed solved the case.

So here goes:

First: Check on the exchange server if the following powershell scripts exist:

In  %ExchangeInstallPath%\bin you need to find the following scripts:

  • CommonConnectFunctions.ps1
  • CommonConnectFunctions.strings.psd1
  • Connect-ExchangeServer-help.xml
  • ConnectFunctions.ps1
  • ConnectFunctions.strings.psd1
  • RemoteExchange.ps1
  • RemoteExchange.strings.psd1

Second: Check the following registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns]
@=””

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010]
“CustomPSSnapInType”=”Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.AdminPSSnapIn”
“ApplicationBase”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin”
“AssemblyName”=”Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″
“Description”=”Admin Tasks for the Exchange Server”
“ModuleName”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration.dll”
“PowerShellVersion”=”1.0″
“Vendor”=”Microsoft Corporation”
“Version”=”14.0.0.0″

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Setup]
“CustomPSSnapInType”=”Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.SetupPSSnapIn”
“ApplicationBase”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin”
“AssemblyName”=”Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″
“Description”=”Setup Tasks for the Exchange Server”
“ModuleName”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.configuration.dll”
“PowerShellVersion”=”1.0″
“Vendor”=”Microsoft”
“Version”=”14.0.0.0″

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support]
“CustomPSSnapInType”=”Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.SupportPSSnapIn”
“ApplicationBase”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin”
“AssemblyName”=”Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″
“Description”=”Support Tasks for the Exchange Server”
“ModuleName”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.dll”
“PowerShellVersion”=”1.0″
“Vendor”=”Microsoft Corporation”
“Version”=”14.0.0.0″

If this is not the case, then copy the registry keys from another exchange server and after that, it works.

To test this, I exported some of the registry keys, removed them and tried the DPM wizard.  I got exactly the error as described in the thread.  After imorting the keys again, everything worked as a charm.

If you have this similar issue, then check these things out

For the complete thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmexchbackup/thread/25ef304c-b9b5-47b6-a65d-17967ab0ad62/

And thank you Frans Molenaar for finding this solution

Cheers,

Mike