You are browsing the archive for 2013 January.

Unable to configure protection with SQL Server 2012

9:18 am in Uncategorized by mikeresseler

 

While working on some scenario’s to protect SQL Server 2012 SP1 with System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1 I received an error notification in my DPM console

image

The error stated that after creating a protection group it was unable to configure protection.

I’ve been looking through various logs until I found the following under the DPM Alerts logs in the Event Viewer of the SCDPM box

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for  SRV-SPF-WWR\Belgium on SRV-SPF-WWR.infronteurope.com for following reason:
(ID: 3170)
The DPM job failed for  SRV-SPF-WWR\Belgium on SRV-SPF-WWR.infronteurope.com because the protection agent did not have sysadmin privileges on the SQL Server instance. (ID: 33424)

Now this is something new.

After doing some more investigation, it seems that SQL 2012 is a bit more hardened then the previous versions and the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM does not have sysadmin rights on a SQL instance.

With this procedure you can change that.

1. Log on to the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

2. Connect to the correct instance

3. Go to Security > Server Roles, and right-click on sysadmin and choose Properties

4. Press the Add button

image

5. Add the NT Authority\System account to the role and press OK

image

6. Modify the Protection Group (rerun through the protection group and on the last page of the wizard say Update Group without making any other changes)

Done.

Cheers

Mike

Lesson learned: Deploying the SCDPM 2012 SP1 agent to Windows 8

10:46 am in Uncategorized by mikeresseler

Hi All,

I was testing out the Windows 8 Client with SCPDM 2012 SP1 today.  I’ve got a clean Windows 8 machine and I have one of my DPM servers that I was going to use to create some policies for protecting clients.

First thing I did was deploying the agent to the client from the DPM console.

After it gave me a success I created the protection group with some rules in it.

Then I logged into the client to do some testing and I wanted to open the DPM agent on that client.  Here I got a big surprise:

image

While I know that you need .NET Framework to use the agent, I thought (and hoped) that it would be activated automatically by the installer.  In Windows 8, .NET 4.5 comes automatically but 3.5 is a feature that needs to be enabled.

So I went to my windows features and enabled the .Net Framework 3.5 feature

image

The next screen asked me to download it from the Windows Update service

image

But that didn’t work.  I always get this error message stating that Windows can’t download the components.

image

After doing some digging, I realized that the client automatically goes to the WSUS server (or in our case the SCCM server) because it was stated so by the administrator.  Since .NET 3.5 is not in that list it can’t download the files.  Luckily I found the solution (although not a pleasant one…) by my good friend Aidan Finn

I placed the windows 8 media and used the following command:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

(D:\sources\sxs is the location of my media)

image

image

And now the agent works

image

Lesson learned: If you are going to do a mass-deployment of DPM client agents to Windows 8 machines, make sure that you have enabled .NET 3.5 (through your image or through a software distribution solution).  The funny thing is that the DPM backup does work and occurs but the agent UI for the end-user won’t.

Cheers,

Mike