Configmgr 2012 : Automate / Create User Collections from AD user Groups (based on Active Directory group discovery)
Did you ever wanted to automate the creation of “User Collections” based on your AD user Groups (which is based on User group discovery)
I have posted the script here ( http://scug.be/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CreateCollectionForUserGroups.rar ) and these are the steps to follow :
1) Create/Configure your AD group discovery to target your AD application groups.
2) Run this script from a site server machine and this will require appropriate RBAC rights for the user to create collections.
2) Open a command prompt and run the following cmd:
3) The script will create a user collection for each AD security group with the same name as the unique user group name retrieved from active directory. The appropriate AD group will be added as a direct member of that user collection. This will avoid the refresh that you would need if you would use a query method !
4) On subsequent reruns the script will check if a collection with the same name exists or not and if it does it will skip.
The only 2 things I would still add to the script and I am busy trying to figure it out is :
– Check for incremental updates ( in case you would add a user directly into it )
– Check the default collection update (7days)
Note : I have not written this script myself . I would like to thank the Configmgr Product group and in particular Bhaskar, as he created the script . However you should first try this script in a lab and see if it fits your needs . We’ll take no responsibility what so ever .
Hope it Helps ,