7:29 pm in ConfigMgr, ConfigMgr 2007, ConfigMgr 2007 R2, ConfigMgr 2012, ConfigMgr SP2, configmgr2007, ConfigMgr2007 R3, embedded, FEP, FEP2010, Installation, SCCM 2007, SCCM 2007 R2, SCCM 2007 R3, SCCM 2007 SP2, SCCM 2012, WES2009 by Kenny Buntinx [MVP]
Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 introduces new features and updates. These new features and updates are summarized below.
The following list is a summary of the updates in FEP Update Rollup 1 for server functionality.
Finally the Forefront team came up with a solution that since the release of the product they really missed .The following Microsoft website explains how to auto deploy forefront client security definition in a step-by-step guide. aka http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd185652.aspx
In this step-by-step guide, they essentially go into the WSUS Console to create an Auto-Acceptance rule. First of all this should make any ConfigMgr admin shiver, as it should have been drilled into your head that you are supposed to do software updates management from the ConfigMgr administrator console. Now, I and many other SCCM admins have never understood why they didn’t solve that in a more elegant manner. The solution works, however has a couple of major drawbacks.
Additionally in a multi distribution point environment, the actual definition updates will always come from the Software update point, whereas normal software updates come from the distribution points. In other words, this impacts scale quite a bit, and forefront definitions come out at a very frequent pace meaning they are hitting you software update point harder than anything else.
The main problem, is that in SCCM 2007 we have no "easy" way to create an Auto-Approval rule. This will be solved in CM12 , until then , for the CM07 they will fix that mistake by update rollup 1. Soon I will launch a blog post to see if this is a real workable solution. So now you will have with Update Rollup 1 a tool that facilitates the use of the Configuration Manager software updates functionality to download FEP definition updates and make them available to client computers running the FEP client software.
In order to use the software updates feature for definition updates, you must perform the following high-level steps:
- Download and install the Update Rollup 1 package.
- Configure software updates to download definitions for FEP.
- Configure the package by which the definition updates will be distributed, and configure the distribution settings for it.
- Install and configure the FEP Software Update Automation tool.
- Addition of support for the FEP client software for Windows Embedded 7 and Windows Server 2008 Server Core. For more information on the added client support, see Prerequisites for Deploying Forefront Endpoint Protection on a Client
- The following list is a summary of the updates to FEP policies included with Update Rollup 1.
Update Rollup 1 for FEP 2010 adds a new FEP policy option to configure definition updates for FEP client computers. After installing Update Rollup 1 for FEP, you can configure FEP policies to update definitions from a Configuration Manager software update point.
To configure FEP policies to update definitions from a Configuration Manager software update point
When you create a new FEP policy or edit an existing FEP policy, the new definition update options appears as follows:
- When creating a new FEP policy, in the New Policy Wizard, on the Updates page, select the check box for Enable updates from Configuration Manager.
- When editing an existing FEP policy in a Configuration Manager console that on which you installed the Update Rollup 1 for FEP, in the properties for a FEP policy, on the Updates tab, select the check box for Use Configuration Manager as primary source for definition updates.
Addition of two new preconfigured policy templates for the following server workloads:
- Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway
- Microsoft Lync 2010
You will find the Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 Update Rollup 1to download at the following location : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26583
Hope it Helps ,