SCE 2007 SP1 : Client performance issues and pure frustration !

January 16, 2009 at 9:24 pm in AdminUi, essentials, SCE, script by Kenny Buntinx [MVP]

I did a clean install SCE 2007 with SP1 and deployed the agent to all our clients @ our customer.After a while 90% of our  client infrastructure were reporting very slow performance (read icons disappearing from the desktop and no change to hit task manager). People getting mad all over the place ( 150 clients) . After doing some searching I removed all the Information Worker management packs.

No change at all after doing this!

I investigated even more and was thinking that it could be the Mcafee virus scan 8.0/8.5 that had scriptscan enabled.

No change at all after doing this!

I put in an exclusion for the path “C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007″ in McAfee VirusScan 8.0/8.5.

No change at all after doing this!

There were a lot of client errors “Performance Monitor Could not find a performance counter” . So I followed the instructions in the thread below to disable the rule as a work around. until they have a long term fix

No change at all after doing this expect for no alerts of that kind in the console.

I tried to investigate some more on the client side now and I discovered this :

SCE 2007 uses ‘cscripts.exe’ to collect data and send back to SCE Management server. For each rule defined in ‘Authoring’ we have a cscript running on the clients to collect that data. Each rule has its own collection interval, but if we use the defaults most of these collection intervals would be the same.Since these collection intervals are same, it means that around 10-12 cscripts for the OS without considering any other custom rules

Each cscript would take a few milliseconds to collect data, and even if you were watching the process console, you wouldnt be able to see them all together but the truth is different . They all fire simultaneously, inadvertently they get ‘stuck’. This is because not enough CPU resource is not available for their execution to complete.Lets say an average of 75 MB of memory for 10 cscripts, that becomes 75 x 10 = 750 MB of RAM just for a Monitoring collection agent that you need for inventory purposes !

Why are each of these cscripts consuming around 50 -140 MB each ! A common XP client has 1 gig of ram and that should be enough !

And why could they not write a mechanism that controls the CSCRIPT launch , instead of launching them all at once !

When is Microsoft likely to sort these bugs out? I thought SP1 was supposed to solve all the issues but it seems they have introduced many new ones.

Why isn’t Microsoft being able to write an agent that does the monitoring for servers ( witch they already have and is ok for a server ) , and write a small agent based on the SCCM client for the PC client management ( e.a software inventory / dustribution/ patching ) .That would make life much easier , for both of us ( product team & consultants )

At the end , we ended up to uninstalling the agent on all the clients ! The funny part is , that when we did the proof of concept , these problems did not arise !

I am pretty frustrated with this product right now , because my ass is on the line at the customer to defend his choice .

Thanks for reading this because it had to come of my chest ….

Hope it helps ,

Kenny Buntinx

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest