One of the great things that comes forth out of a technology community are the custom tools. Tools that make life a little easier and provide functionalities not always found in the original product.
One of the tools I use very often is MPViewer. A simple tool that can read and report on management pack contents without needing a management group connection or other heavy interface. Just run this little gem, point to a MP / XML / MPB Management Pack, and boom…you see what’s inside. It is a great value to quickly create a report of do a pre-import assessment.
Big was my disappointment when I heard that the original authors abandonded the project.
Since the original code was shared on Github (thank god!) I decided to use my own developer knowledge to research, maintain and extend the code. I got to the point were I am confident to do a first release to the world, and I hope you have as much fun using it as I had creating it. Bear in mind though that I am not a professional developer, so the ride may be bumpy and dirty from time to time.
- The MPViewer can now open multiple management packs in one go, allowing easier documentation of an entire workload instead of separate files
- Each item will have a column stating the MP it resides in, so you will always know the source MP!
- A separate table ‘Management Packs’ shows all the MP’s that are loaded
- Management Packs can now be loaded from a live Management Group in addition of files. Multiple MP’s can be selected, just like the file-based approach!
- Modules are now included in the overview, including the full XML configuration!
- OpenWith is now supported: associate the MPViewer with the XML, MP or MPB file extension and MPViewer will load the file when you double-click on it in explorer!
- First release, so expect some bugs here and there. Feedback is welcome through the issues-page
- Command-Line support removed due to the addition of the OpenWith feature. I will research the possibility of combining both features
- GUI is quirky at some points
- Code is a mess in some areas
Thank you in advance for giving the tool a spin and providing your own contributions and feedback! I hope to be able to keep this small gem alive and up-to-date so that there will be a continued benefit for those in need of a good Management Pack tool!