Today the OMS agent installation bits for Linux came online in public preview giving OMS the possibility to pull in performance and event data into the OMS workspace from Linux machines.
This is basically the next step to get OMS to monitor your entire environment. It is a clear example of the possibilities of OMS to monitor your entire datacenter not bound by OS or system.
Where do I get it?
Log on to your workspace and go to your overview => settings => connected sources and download the Agent for linux:
How do I install it?
Obviously you will need the access to your Linux machines.
The install docs can be found on github on this url: https://github.com/MSFTOSSMgmt/OMS-Agent-for-Linux
In general you just need to run these commands:
$> wget https://github.com/MSFTOSSMgmt/OMS-Agent-for-Linux/releases/download/1.0.0-47/omsagent-1.0.0-47.universal.x64.sh $> md5sum omsagent-1.0.0-47.universal.x64.sh $> sudo sh ./omsagent-1.0.0-47 --install -w <YOUR OMS WORKSPACE ID> -s <YOUR OMS WORKSPACE PRIMARY KEY>
What distro’s are supported?
The following distro’s are supported:
- Amazon Linux 2012.09 –> 2015.09 (x86/x64)
- CentOS Linux 5,6, and 7 (x86/x64)
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5,6, and 7 (x86/x64)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5,6 and 7 (x86/x64)
- Debian GNU/Linux 6, 7, and 8 (x86/x64)
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 15.04 (x86/x64)
- SUSE Linux Enteprise Server 11 and 12 (x86/x64)
More will come pretty soon but the mainstream distro’s are already on there
Can I give feedback?
YES and you are very entitled to do so!
These are the channels to get your feedback / suggestions to Microsoft:
- UserVoice: Post ideas for new OMS features to work on here
- Email: scdata@microsoft. Tell us whatever is on your mind
- Monthly survey: if you are an OMS customer, you know we send out a survey every month asking our customers about the features we’re working on next.
- Elite Linux customer panel: If you are a die-hard OMS Linux user and want to join our weekly calls and talk directly to the product team apply through this survey.
What can I see in the OMS workspace?
All data will flow in and your events and performance will be uploaded to your OMS instantly.
Expect a more detailed post in a short while. In the meanwhile just try it!